Superbowl Sunday is basically advertising’s biggest event of the year. Marketers and agencies spend months and millions in preparation, all in hopes for a spot on TV that snags the attention of everyone.
Did you know the average Super Bowl V commercial from this past Sunday cost $4.8 million?? According to Kantar Media, some even surpassed $5 million, depending on the timeslot. Flashback…Super Bowl I commercials averaged at $40,000. It’s no wonder why though – it’s a lot of potential eyeballs to reach. An average of 114 million people tuned in to last year’s big game.
I was one of them last year, and one of them a few days ago. The last game of football for the season, the biggest brand opportunity in my industry, and Coldplay sharing the stage with Beyoncé…how could I possibly not watch??
Friend’s gathered at Eric’s place for lots of chili and a BYODip party – I made queso, Becca made a taco dip, friends brought cheese spreads, artichoke dip, and more. It was quite the feast as we chatted, cheered, and Snapchat filtered our way through the game.
With all that being said, here are my TV spot faves. I’ve linked to each commercial on YouTube so you can enjoy your self!
- Doritos // Doritos Dogs – I’m a sucker for anything with dogs, so these pups attempting to sneak into the store for some munchies was the cutest thing. Not sure if you saw that other, much stranger Dorito ad with the baby…you’ve got to hand it to Doritos for always grabbing our attention year after year with multiple ads though!
- Honda // Honda Ridgeline A New Truck To Love – YOU GUYS. I said I love dogs, but what I should’ve just said is that I also just love fluffy animals. And these fluffy animals are singing sheep. I was seriously cracking up, what an adorable way to highlight this truck audio feature.
- T-Mobile // Restricted Bling – If you aren’t familiar with Drake’s catchy Hotling Bling and the funky music video, you must familiarize yourself. I kind of have a celebrity crush on Drake (evident here), which is a huge reason as to why this made my list. But I also think it’s just a really funny and appropriate play on the whole song, which made it a hit.
- NFL // Super Bowl Babies Choir feat. Seal – This adorable spot ran in a few different bits throughout the game. It totally made you chuckle with a statistic, and a bunch of children reppin’ their teams, that led to a very relatable message for me – Football is Family.
- Jeep // Portraits – Tugging at the heartstrings was Jeep’s ad that showed all the that makes up the brand – its drivers. I loved the photography and sentiment that stood out nicely among the other spots. An employee at my agency also pointed out this is the only spot that ran on TV cropped and tailored as so, and fit perfectly on a mobile screen.
I was very happy the Broncos won! I am a big Peyton Manning fan for a few different reasons. I am also a total Coldplay fan, but thought their show was average for the game – Beyoncé S L A Y E D though.
Your thoughts on the big game and its commercials??